Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tortilla Soup




I decided to break out the good ol' trusty cookbook.

Okay, it is not old at all, it's like, 1 month old.

I wanted to try another recipe... and it's getting colder and colder outside. So I thought it was time to make a soup dinner. Now, I have never been a fan of soup... because I am ridiculous when it comes to vegetables. The only vegetables I like... are canned green beans, and corn.

I know, I am a weirdo. But, I found a tortilla soup recipe, so I though, let's try this baby out.

Basically, you make the broth first, then let boneless skinless chicken breasts cook through thouroughly in that. You pull the chicken out and cut it up into pieces, also cutting avocado and tomatoes into bite sized pieces.

Then, you divide the chicken, avocado, and tomatoes into individual bowls and add the broth on top of that. Last, on top you add your tortilla chips. And bam, you are finished.

The soup wasn't bad... my dad loved it and thought it was delicious. I liked the broth, and the chicken... the broth just had that perfect amount of heat, though I think it needed salt. Also, we did not use the cilantro leaves. But the veggies just didn't agree with my tastebuds, because again, I am a picky weirdo. But I don't mind just cooking for other people. I will just eat me some canned green beans and be completely satisfied! :)

Tortilla Soup


1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, minced (I just used a medium sized onion)
1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
tortilla chips, broken into large pieces... or just use tortilla strips, whatever you'd like or have on hand
3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
2 ripe avocados, pitted and cut into half inch pieces
1/2 cup whole fresh cilantro leaves

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven (we just used a regular pan on the stove) over medium heat until shimmering. Add in the onion, chili powder, garlic, and jalapeño into the pan and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the broth and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and cook partially covered til chicken is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.

When cooked, remove the chicken and set aside to let cool, letting the broth simmer for another 10 minutes. Cut your chicken, avocados, and tomatoes into bite sized pieces.

Remove the broth from the heat and incorporate your lime juice. Then, just divide the tortillas, chicken, avocados, and tomatoes between your bowls, pour the broth over it, and add your extra tortillas and cilantro leaves on top of it if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment